How much do you know about the Festac 77 Mask ? Do you know the woman behind the Festac Mask .
To keep you in touch with history of Festac (Festac 77 )So here are some facts you should know about Queen Idia
- The lady behind the Festac Mask is the popular Queen Idia, the mother of Esigie, the Oba of Benin who ruled from 1504 to 1550.
2.Queen Idia played a very significant role in the rise and reign of her son.
- She has been described as a great warrior, who fought relentlessly before and during her son’s reign as the Oba (king) of the Edo people.
- First Woman to earn a title from the Benin Empire as IYOBA which means The Queen mother.
- First Woman commander [mother of the king] to have led soldiers/warrior to fight and win a war in defense of her Nation.
First Woman to have produced an enlightened prince (Son) who was able to relate with the Europeans in their early encounter.
7.First woman to have taken up the mantle of leadership in terms of socio – economic development of the Old Benin Empire, that was later invaded and burnt down by the British military on the Benin punitive expedition in 1897 to finally exile Oba Ovonramen to Calabar. A time when some of the finest bronze of Benin were made and exported to Europe
- First woman to have witnessed the early formation of churches and missionary school in Nigeria. THE HOLY ARUOSA
- First black African woman to have earned such world recognition, respect and dignity in the West African sub region.