5th October 2017, the Commissioner of Police Lagos State, Imohimi Oluwole Edgai, was present at the 9th town hall meeting organized by the Area Command E .
At the town hall meeting, various issues facing both the police and community at large were raised and discussed.
During the town hall meeting, encouragement of police-public partnership was also discussed.
In attendance were residents of Oriade, Amuwo-Odofin,Iba and Ojo whose areas fall under Area E Police Command, Lagos State.
12 Security Issues Addressed At Area E Police Command Town Hall Meeting
1. No Police Officer is to collect money on cases that are bailable , or attending to a case.
Security is the major concern for everybody in any community, it’s the responsibility of everybody, and the police can’t do it alone because they don’t know your community like you do, they don’t know the challenges of your community like you do and that’s why they are posted to work with the people of the community to safe guard these community using their skilled sense to make things work.
2. The Police command has kicked off an intelligence lab at Alausa and is under 24 hours surveillance.
A citizen complaints hot centre has been setup at the lab which has police operatives that man the center on 24 hours basis.
You can call in on complaints against any police man in the language you choose, any of the three major Nigeria languages (Yoruba, Igbo and Hausa) and in English or Pidgin English
“Step back and call and they’ll have me to face” – Imohimi Oluwole Edgai
3. Immediate order was given for vigilante groups to be set-up in communities all over the state which has been taken up with the executive governor of lag state.
On the part of the Police, he revealed that three armed policemen would be attached to the vigilante group, even as he threatened to deal decisively with any Area Commander of DPO who refuses to attached armed policemen to an established vigilante group.
4. Distress mobile numbers was given out to attend and answer to issues encountered by residents of these areas.
the numbers to call are 08067945296, 08063025274, 08063104759, 08113615350, 08113683077, 08096283148, 08096283173, 08089781657, 08126404930, 08081426895.
5. DPOs of Area E command have been ordered to consistently have meetings with community leaders and local government authorities.
6. Area commander, DPOs or representatives to be present at all. community meetings, CDC meetings, landlord association meetings, union meetings, town hall meetings, tribal meetings, religious meetings and gatherings
7. Residential robberies would be focused on which occurs between 1am – 4am to commit these robberies.
it is my intention that residents in area E not only sleep with their eyes closed but with their doors and windows wide opened. it is achievable.- Imohimi Oluwole Edgai
8. Police corruption issues has been noted to be addressed.
There must be a close synergy, the police is not everywhere but the communities.- Imohimi Oluwole Edgai
9. All PCRC chairmen were asked to make it a point of note when having meetings that youth leadership of the communities are invited and accorded the necessary attention deserved.
10.On Okada issue, it has become not only a social problem but also a crime problem because means of operation of most crimes are committed on Okada. They have routes on which they are banned.
There would be a joint operation across the states to clamp down on okadas on prohibited roads which would commence this month. All transport union leaders should form task forces and join hands with local police to enforce the law.
It is the job to ensure okada riders, buses are duly registered, also okada riders that do not belong to the local union , stray riders from other states and communities are checked.
Any Community where there is no law and order is not a community that would prosper. There must be law and order. – Imohimi Oluwole Edgai
11. Security of schools in riverine areas have responsibility of Government, police and security and other agencies , responsibility of school ownership and management and responsibility of community to make a school secure.
12. He further informed that patrols around reverie areas would be intensified, following the procurement of additional logistics such gun boats to the Marine Police by governor Akinwunmi Ambode, as well as some ongoing refurbishing ones by the Nigerian Navy, which he said would be used for joint patrol.
At the moment, Imohimi said: “We have gun boats patrolling the Festac water channel down towards Agabra and its axis. We have others for Ikorodu, Epe, Akodo and Ife axis. There is a strong synergy now between the Police and the Navy.”
These and more were issues raised, addressed and discussed at the just concluded Community town hall meeting organized by Area E Police Command